FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Dangerous wording on letter to congress re: salmonella and reptiles as pets
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003, 09:58 AM   #8
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
I was forwarded the letter and asked to send it to my congressman. I simply replied back to the person who sent it stating that I will in no way take part in the distribution of this letter as it is a danger to the entire reptile keeping hobby.

Cases of reptile-related salmonella in humans are very few and far between, however, when a child does get sick, it is plastered all over the news. But that's ok, because when you pick it up from undercooked chicken or eggs, it's not newsworthy. Nobody gets frightened when they see a bucket of fried chicken. I believe that if you are going to point out that all reptiles carry salmonella(which they do), then you need to also point out the fact that birds, dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits, and just about EVERY other animal can carry it as well.

I strongly urge people NOT to sign or forward this petition to ANYONE. It appears to me as a poorly worded subterfuge by the reptile ban supporters to sneak their way into getting hte reptile community to back their agenda.