FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #45
Helenthereef
Now almost a week since his last bout of wheezing and he seems fine again. We have 3 more Baytril injections to go over the next 6 days, then I suppose we'll just see if it comes back or not.

I'm still giving him daily 30 minute steamy saunas, and handling him for an hour or more when I inject him every 2 days. He's reasonably active when I get him out, lots of tongue flicking and slow explorations. I'm hoping that making him move around (gently) every couple of days is going to help too - I imagine that sitting still in his quarantine tub allows mucus to pool in his lungs.

He refused food 4 days ago, but I'm going to try again tonight.

One good thing, one of the other vets at the practice came back off holiday this week and says that they can get cultures done at the government farm animal lab, so I now have a swab and nutrient agar tube on hand. If he does wheeze and produce mucus again I stand a chance of getting a culture done to ID the bacteria. Not sure what to do if it's not Baytril-sensitive though - the vet cant get Fortaz/Ceftazidime, but I might go and talk to my very understanding doctor....

In the meantime I think he needs a break from injections - for the first 3 weeks he was very passive, but this week he's objecting a bit to the needle. Maybe a good sign if he's reacting more, or maybe his sides are sore, even though I vary the injection sites as recommended. Only 3 more to go!