FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Lighting help-Powersun and Basking temp difference
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
Socratic Monologue
I agree with Jason.

Even among incandescent basking lamps (such as the 75w you are currently running), there is a big difference between different brands in terms of heat spread and high temps at a given distance. I have a favorite brand that is based almost entirely on the focus of the lamp; when I try to switch brands I can't get the heat level/spread correct even with a dimmer.

I have experience with only a couple self-ballasted MV lamps (and this was so far in the past I don't recall the details), but you would likely find similar differences between brands of MV lamps as well. So trying a different brand of MV might give the temps you're looking for, or you might simply try the 160w -- depends if your application needs more overall heat or simply a better focus of the amount of heat a 100w MV provides.

Edit to add: AFAIK, as MV lamps age or fail, they don't get cooler (though the spectrum changes and they emit less UV). I doubt your issue is a bad/old lamp.