FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adenovirus Document from University of Florida
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #28
Neverland Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggintails
Wendy: "I do know Reptile Rooms has been tracking where positives came from for quite some time and it seems to lead back to certain lines."

the other part of the equation is......how many negatives tests were seen by reptile rooms? Not heard about but actually seen with eyeballs? I don't think any. That there is a big, huge problem...and the one I am making so much NOISE about. So tracking the positives means absolutely nothing, nothing at all, if negative test results belonging to other animals in that colony were not viewed, seen, witnessed in some way by the organization doing the tracking. Ebb and flow must be tracked equally or there is nothing to track. I asked Cheri this and she said that she did not actually see the negative tests but people just told her they were negative,that just isn't right, information must be verified, friendships be damned...I understand this though because you don't think that someone is lying about being negative and she does trust. So, I don't know about tracking positives..which is pointless...should be tracking the negatives..then have to have an attachment and have persmission to verify with the lab. Takes up space in the computer but then you can forward this information and it can be used for statistics.

Maybe sickness was tracked do you mean? Like sick animals that were positive and people reporting where the sick animals were coming from?

I don't understand this number 500 in referring to tests Florida has completed. Sounds like: from whiskersmom who was talking to Dachius, who heard it from Randy who talked to Brian on Thursday... hoodypole correct? I get one cookie for that one if so.

No, Brian did not give him that number..it was a hypothetical guess on Randy's part, Florida did not give him that number and he will tell you so ...they have way more than 500 submissions. Most from people who did not think they had it in their colony. The paper says most were asymptomatic animals. They were pets and breeding colonies submitted. That lab has spent more time calming down so many bewildered breeders and owners who thought they were totally clean (me included) freaked out and shocked at the test results...than they do running their tests.

Well, until someone comes up with the negative dragons and test results that I can see with my eyeballs (and verified with said lab) they are few and far between. It is not good to believe. ... you have to verify stuff.
Where are we going to get negative dragons, they have been exposed to the virus from the others in their colony....mom goes to the pet store la la la, to the reptile show la la la..the cricket guy feeds his dragons and la la la and packages up your crickets (that cricket does have dragons in his office by the way and he plays with them too..yep really) it is very hard to keep them isolated.

I don't know, but regarding Cheri's question and it is a good one and yours about where do we go from here?.....I can't speak for anybody else and I really don't care at this point...people in this situation have been dishonest, deceitful and of poor quality.

I have destroyed most of my colony, what I have left I thought was adeno free because I was not educated...they have negative tests..translation (got that from Schrap): were not shedding viral on the last fecal submission. I have bred them, the babies are big and pretty, they are healthy (we do not have sick or die offs and we never have). We do not guarantee they are adeno free, if you must have this, then go find some wacko that will give it to you and pass me by...(when you find that guaranteed baby, test it right after it is shipped and stressin..then call me).

I will guarantee as always, that the baby is thriving..if not return it. Other than that I have made great sacrifices trying to acheive a negative colony, that I thought was negative in the first place. I will continue to test periodically for my own records and I will continue to learn about this and attend as many conferences as I can and order transcriptions from the lectures that I can not attend. That's all anyone can do.

I
Tammy, you get a cookie! My bad for throwing that number in there. I was under the impression (please correct me if I am wrong) that there were going to be statistics released in this paper. I understand that over 90% of the dragons tested positive. That is part of it. But where are the rest of the statistics? How many dragons were tested? From how many colonies? How many were suspected of having adenovirus and were showing some type of symptoms? How many were otherwise healthy and the owner was testing to see if they carried the virus? What part of the U.S. were the dragons from? Where did they origante from? Was it more prevalent in some areas of the country? I do think that all of these questions should be answered before anyone makes a generalized statement that most bearded dragons in the U.S. have adenovirus.

In regards to Reptile Rooms. It is my understanding that they have been tracking dragons that have either had a necropsy done that showed adenovirus or confirmed via fecal em or pcr. The tracking is for dragons showing illness/death and adenovirus was found in the dragon.

I know that emotions run high with this (mine included at times). I do think there are negatives out there and testing is the only way to find them. If indeed it is even a very small percentage, it is still a significant number when you look at the size of the U.S. dragon population. I am not ready to give up on this. I hope you are not either, because it is obvious you love your dragons and you are looking for concrete answers when there are few if any available.