FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Blue eye bearded dragons Marek's/herpies
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
DNA Dragons
I cannot say I disagree with the ideas of Steven being a bit difinitive with this claim. It is simply what he believes to be true with his incredible understanding of the bearded dragon anatomy. I have received pictures from Steven before the post as others have as well, and my initial responce supported the idea. However, eye color is incredibly complex genetically, and it all about the order in which the genes that affect eye color are stacked. Humans have around 9 genes, ours are very complex but hardly the most complex. Bearded dragons could have 20 or more, we simply do not know. Well genetically speaking these genes have to be perfectly arranged to create a new eye color. It may be a 1 in 10,000, and these genes might pop up in any random order and you still get the typical brown/red eye color typically associated with dragons. It just takes that fluke 1 :10,000 where two random genes pair up and make a blue eyed dragon. Now, when you take two bearded dragons both with blue eyes your odds are no better to create more blue eyed dragons because it is all random, they all share the genes, it is just the order in which they randomly "land."

But, disease shares a very likely explanation too. One I won't discredit, no matter how enthusiastic the person who first found out about it was. If it is a new disease, Steven will get a new dragon disease named after him, he will deserve it. That in my opinion is way more legit than any new morph, because this discovery could better the lives of our dragons.