FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - California Laws and Breeding
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
reptilebreeder
I let my permit lapse 2 years ago, because I decided to get out of breeding native herps. Some things I remember, or would think about;
1. There's a bill floating around the CA legislator (don't know how far it's gotten), that would ban the sale of native reptiles, period. As it looks to be written it appears that it may also make the use of racks a no-no. At least at the sizes currently being used. Also, if you buy snakes, or even feeder mice you will have to give them your personal info-name, address, phone number, which I think is garbage, but that's just my personal feeling. So you might want to look into the progress, or keep an eye on it before you decide. I think there's a thread around here that talks about it, try checking the legal or legislation forum or whatever it is called.

2. Sadly I don't know the actual real law about CB snakes in possession. Anotherwords, I don't know if legally you can still only have four in your possession even if they are captive bred. If you were just some Joe off the street and bought more than four, but never sold them or bred them, I don't think F&G is going to come to your house with warrants and guns drawn, but I don't know if it's technically legal. If you have a permit you can buy more, sell them, breed them, etc. You will have to keep meticulous records, even for out of state purchases. All my out of state purchases have given me a receipt, so don't know why you didn't get any.

3. The process is pretty simple, contact them they will send you a packet, that has all the regs, and you fill out all the forms, and send it back with the fee. One thing about becoming a breeder is you give them (F&G) permission to inspect the facility whenever they want, for some people who run their business or hobby out of the livingroom, or bedroom, that can be kind of a personal issue, otherwise not really a big deal.

Your albino is exempt, Ca exempts albino's, so I think you can even breed and sell them without a permit. They have to be homogeneous, not hets or something. Ca specifies albino as "lacking in melanin AND having pink eyes, so they are the only ones exempt, even though you can't find a 90% banana king in the wild they aren't exempt, nor are any of the other morphs. Even the one strain of "albino" Rosy, I do not believe is exempt, because it doesn't have pink eyes.