FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - 7'-6" Rattler bites man in Morganton
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #25
Darin Chappell
"There is no amount of mental suffering that can even begin to compare to the physical suffering that a small and helpless animal endured at her hands."

With all due respect, that's the type of hyperbolic tripe that causes so many to run in the OPPOSITE direction whenever the subject of cruelty to animals is raised. It does no good to go overboard on this, no matter how badly you feel for that snake. I wish it hadn't been handled as it was, but it happened. The person involved has learned her lesson, and she has been publically chastised for her behavior. It was a snake that did not need to be killed, but it was a snake, afterall. To say that no mental suffering could compare to the physical suffering of the animal is ludicrous! What if her child had been bitten because she was trying to handle the animal in a different way? What if the animal control people were called, and as they were on the way, her child (or someone else's) got too close to the snake and was bitten? Would THAT type of mental suffering (guilt for not having taken the welfare of the children into higher consideration than the welfare of the snake) rival what was suffered by the animal?

I'm sorry Tanith. I respect your knowledge of hots and your dedication to herpetology in every regard, but you just come off as being too militant in this instance, and I think you've got your back up now too far to admit you may have been over the top in this regard.

" 'I'm sorry' is *not* enough, not by itself. It doesn't impress me or earn any slack ... " Well, I guess we can all be thankful that it is not you to whom we have to answer for our actions. It must be wonderful having the moral authority to proclaim worthy or not the motivations of those attempting to apologize for their actions. Not too over the top there, Huh?

I'm done.