FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - good beginner venomous snake
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 11:25 PM   #51
snakegetters
Another point on the drug issue - while I'm in favor of controlled legalization and I believe that some adults can responsibly use some drugs, currently recreational drugs are illegal.

That means that any venomous keeper who has illegal drugs on their premises puts the herp community at essentially the same risk for bad press as does a minor who keeps hots. The news headlines that would result from illegal drugs being found on the premises of a venomous keeper would be excellent ammunition for the folks in favor of banning private keeping.

I feel that it is a potential risk to the community to keep venomous reptiles and any kind of contraband in the same house. Eg, drugs, guns, etc. There is also a potential risk to the community when parents keep venomous reptiles in the house with minor children.

Rather than yell at keepers who enjoy smoking marijuana and tell them to quit, I would suggest that they smoke only when they are well away from their snakes. Rather than say to households containing minors that they should not keep venomous snakes, I suggest that they get educated and take stringent safety precautions. The "Just Say No" thing doesn't work so well in the real world, even if we wish it did. Suggesting safer alternatives is more practical and effective than commanding people to abstain.