FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Nikon CoolPix P900
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
WebSlave
Yeah, the photos I've been able to take have encouraged me to order a beginner's astrophotography kit with a tripod and motorized head. I should be able to get better shots once I've got that and learned it's ropes. Just being able to move the camera with a motorized head will help a lot. Having a TRACKING head to compensate for the rotation of the Earth should be even better.

I've often thought of getting a telescope setup, but honestly, I am in the middle of the woods, and have a very limited view of the sky. Pretty much straight up is all I've got. Fortunately I can see the moon over the house if I stand in the right place at the right time in the front yard. But heck, this P900 makes it a no brainer buying it. It's not perfect, but it comes darn close being a single package that can do just about anything you want to do with a camera.

I tried taking 1080p video last night too, and it was obvious that I need something to keep the camera stable. It was sitting on a tripod, but I just could not get the view where I wanted, and therefore had to keep my shaky hands on the camera the entire time. With a long lens, even your pulse in your hands can transmit shakiness to the camera. Plus skeeters were buzzing me, so all and all it wasn't an environment conducive to good shots.

Tell you what, when Nikon comes out with an upgrade to this camera (P910?), hopefully with 4K video, I'm going to jump right in line to get one. When I bought this, I bought it locally at a Best Buy and kept all the packaging close at hand thinking that the camera wouldn't live up to the hype I've read. I thought for certain I would be returning it after giving it a test drive myself. But no, this baby has a home here.

I had actually bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1000 earlier, mostly for the 4K video PLUS a 25 to 400mm zoom, and I really didn't want both cameras, so I thought I would be choosing one or the other. But heck, my birthday is this week, so what the hell. They BOTH turned out to be keepers.

Happy Birthday to me!