FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Is This a Good Idea?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 04:35 AM   #70
Nathan Tow-Arnett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey View Post
Here's a story that proves that no venomous snake is "safe" to free handle:
(sorry but I couldn't find the newspaper clipping and I'm trying to get it from the newspaper) This happened in 2001 in Pilot Knob, Missouri. The snake was a timber rattlesnake.

Two guys killed a rattlesnake. They cut its head off. One guy took the head home and the other one took the body home. The one w/the head managed to get bit by the head while fooling around with it and his wife took him to the ER for treatment. According to the guy, it was about 1 hour after they killed the snake. Oh, they took the head to the ER too. Can you say stooopid.
Thank the Travel Channel for airing whichever outdoors camping show that the host was like if you see a rattlesnake like this while your camping, grab a large stick, pin it, cut the head off and bury it all while showing how he did it on camera. Made it look like as easy as a walk in the park. Telling people to mess with a wild venomous snake and try to kill it is definitely a remedy for disaster.

What you should do if you see a wild venomous snake. LEAVE IT ALONE.

Quote:
I don't own venomous snakes, I'd like to have a copperhead some day and I don't want any more legislation or for that matter a total ban on them because of people like you who can't act responsibly and handle a hot correctly

You don't own venomous snakes yet you think because you watched a friend who has venomous snakes how he cares for them that you're going to speak as if you're an expert on the subject on how to handle a hot correctly?

You post a story with stating that no venomous snakes are safe to handle yet you don't own any, have no facts to back up your argument and you have one friend who does a good job at preventing himself from getting bit with some nice cages and you're going to state your opinion as fact when you have no credible grounds to do so?

You do more harm than good for the venomous culture when you pose as an expert because you THINK you know what you're talking about. Legislators uses comments like yours to perpetuate the false validity to why bans are needed because you're disillusioned with what is called the Dunning Krueger effect. I wouldn't want someone handling venomous snakes either with that mentality if I feared snakes. Do the real experts a favor as with most of you who aren't truly experts, keep your do good but actual harmful comments to yourself and leave the venomous snakes handling to people who want to become real experts. Not just keep a venomous snake or two because they feel like a rebel bad ass.