FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - To Jump or Not To Jump
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2003, 10:36 AM   #57
The BoidSmith
[quote]Alvaro, I read that post. Don't really think we're talking about the same thing. Further, he wasn't even in the courtroom, so of course she won! All I managed to get from that was that she was sold a sick 50% het ball, is that right? No where near the same thing as using the adjective "pastel" to describe my animal.[/b]

Brian,

Maybe you missed my point. What I meant to say is that she took the people to court (true, they did not show up) and won the case even without needing to prove that two normal balls were not heterozygous.

Let us suppose you sell your python as pastel in $400 (you found a person crazy enough about his color). Later on, and visiting with a "Pastel Jungle" breeder he finds out it is nothing but a normal ball, whose color more than likely will change to maroon, in a beautiful display of a normal "feral-color" ball python. This person decides to sue you because misrepresentation (although you did not mean it!). The snake you sold as pastel is brought as exhibit A, and a "Pastel" (per-industry standards) is brought as exhibit B. An expert is called as a witness. How long do you think it will take to demonstrate they are different things, and that the term Pastel has been used for years to name snakes that look just like snake B, and that upon breeding half of the offspring will on average show this trait?

As with regards to the name "Pastel" and "Pastel Jungle", people call them Pastel's just as a shortcut and in the understanding that those that are into ball pythons will know they are referring to Pastel Jungles. What if someone has two normal ball pythons and he names them "Pieds" (you know, his family is originally from Piedmont, France ) ). He can later sell the offspring as 100% hetero for Pieds at $1000 and $2000 for males and females respectively. How many ads a day do you see that mention Pieds and we all understand they are referring to piebald balls?

Here is an ad posted this week selling "Pastels" (and believe me, they are pastels as per industry's standards) :

Quote:
Pastels Popping Out!
Anaheim, CA
Posted by Camlon Reptiles (Contact Me!) on May 10, 2003 at 17:37:08

Click on thumbnails to view fullsize in a new window

Here they come our first clutch of the season, Pastels! It will be a few days before they are out, and we need to get them feeding but they are here, yeah! The second clutch is due in 2 weeks.
Any ways, it's your call. You want to call them pastels go ahead and do it.

Take care.