FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Bullsnake found in basement
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
hhmoore
Bullsnake found in basement

Probably not all that exciting a discovery, considering that he's my bullsnake, and it's my basement.....but I'm happy to have the little bugger back.
It was one of those ADD moments that I so freely admit to - I'd been up all night, and was keeping myself busy because I had to go to a class/inservice in the afternoon; so I naturally turned to snake chores. Feeding in particular. Fed everything in my office, and upstairs; then moved to the basement. I warmed the bulls up late this year, and I'm only doing a few pairings - those pairs have been together for about a week - and when I pulled the top tub of the second rack, male and female both came rushing out. Picked up the female, gave her a rat, and put her back in the tub...grabbed a rat for the male, gave it to him, then picked him up and put him in an empty rat tub I had sitting there. Fed off the rest of the rats, and went over to the freezer to pull a few more.
That done, I went upstairs. Grabbed a drink, checked my email, then took the dogs out in the yard. We were out there for about 15 minutes when I remembered the bullsnake...but when I got downstairs, he was nowhere to be seen. A search followed, then another....and, late last night another - nothing. I told my gf this morning, and said that if she found him - inside or out - she should catch him and put him in the lockable tub I left on the side of my desk (yeah, I know, I should have put him in something like that in the first place). She asked if he would bite her - "maybe" - then while she was expressing anxiety over my request, I told her I'd be right back....down to the basement I went. Not there......not there.....not there.....THERE!!!!
A little cold, and quite unhappy about being snatched up during his exploration, but captive again.

On the lighter side of the news - I finally got a pair of P. lineaticollis. Not sure why I put it off as long as I did, but they're here now. Just have to find another pair, and maybe a few singles, so I can have at least a little genetic diversity by the time they're big enough to breed.