FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Allen Belcher / Big Daddy's Wholesale ... WARNING
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 05:04 AM   #74
Lucille
I agree that posts can be made without anyone calling names and being derogatory. That being said, today was the first day I read this thread and I am glad the BOI is here so that people with concerns about business practices and animals can express them (without name calling).
I do not think that wholesalers need to necessarily have cute display cages with decorative branches and so on. I do think that animals in captivity are entitled to food, water, warmth, and basic cleanliness. I do not think situations other that life threatening natural disasters excuse this obligation, and I think if one is going out of town one can hire help so that animals are not left in squalor.
Those who have many animals are not entitled to have below standard care just on account of the number of animals they have. I think that if one's operation has grown to that extent, one should hire additional help so that one's animals live in basicly hygienic conditions.
If this is not possible because of the expenses involved, then clearly it is time to either streamline and make the daily upkeep more effective in order to achieve basic standards, or retreat a bit and have fewer animals so that their care is more manageable.
There are pictures here on Fauna of the reptile rooms of some of the people here who have or sell reptiles, and I have in mind one particular pic of a gecko vendor whose gecko room is immaculate and inviting.
These animals depend on us, all animals in captivity depend on us, we should not let them down.