FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - boas - level of noise at night?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
ozone
boas - level of noise at night?

Hi folks,

I am currently in the research phase of purchasing my first boa (a Dumeril). After several months of reading everything I can, there is one (admittedly strange) thing that I am a bit worried about...

the only good place I can keep the boa would be in a cage in my home office. The trouble is, my home office is an adjoining room attached to the master bedroom (like a retreat off of the master). My wife is a light sleeper, so having a nocturnal snake about 30 feet away from the bed (no walls in between) may be an issue. Our room is normally very quiet at night, so the last thing I want is to have to sell the snake because it's keeping her awake.

So, the question is: How active are Dumeril's (or other ground boas) at night, and are they typically making a fair amount of noise as they move around? The likely enclosure (a Showcase brand) will probably have aspen substrate and maybe a log or two to climb on. I plan on starting with a baby and keeping it for it's lifetime.

I realize that many variables are at play (like the snake's size, whether or not fresh kill will need to sit in cage overnight, etc.) and that this is a hard question to answer...but I'm hoping that at least one of you have had a similar experience and can offer some advice.

Thanks for your insight,
-Chris

p.s. my cornsnake is all but silent - granted, he's no boa!