FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Whose to blame for sexing mistakes?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally posted by alvaro
If one is unable to sex a snake properly (or misexed by mistake and not stand behind it) should one be selling sexed snakes?
In my opinion there's a definate difference between standing behind your animals and being chained to any given sale for the lifetime of the snake.
What exactly do you consider an adequate means of backing up a determination of sex?
Do you feel if after two years I should refund or replace an animal I made a mistake with?
If so, what should be the refund amount, the purchase price, the current value of that animal, the value of an adult of the opposite sex?
What about the snake itself, is it returned?
If returned does the buyer just lose the cost of raising the snake for those two years?
If a replacement, then what age?
What about after 5 years, in the case of some species which take a longer time to mature sexually?

I feel that if after a failed breeding attempt they take the snake to someone and discover it was missexed, then they most likely had that ability when the snake was still a hatchling. Why wait? If the sex of the snake is of utmost importance, then the buyer should feel compelled to take any steps necessary to ensure he did indeed get what he paid for regardless of who sold it to him. The more expensive the animal the more this is true.
If the issue were the genetics of a het, then there's a big difference there as that cannot be determined without breeding. The sex however can.

Two or even three months down the road if a mistake was discovered in my sexing, I would have no problem refunding or replacing the animal if I had others available. Much longer than that though and it's time for the buyer to assume some responsibility.

If someone is going to be breeding snakes, then they need to either be able to sex snakes themselves, or have someone readily available who can.
I refuse to hold the hand of prospective breeders for years to come when they just want to breed the snakes and put no effort at all into learning the related skills that I feel are required of any breeder.