FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Florida state law issues
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 04:02 PM   #105
KNOBTAIL
you see Wes, the problem is

you apparently have never dealt with Fish and Wildlife. I can tell you from very good experience and I am sure others can as well, that knowing the laws or what is expected from you when you get a permit does not fit into the reality of things when dealing with some of these people.

Many of these FW people have a real hard-on for reptile people. It does not matter if you are a good guy, have never had a problem, or whatever, for whatever reason they are out to get you, and they will find a way if they want to. I saw this many times at JFK when I was importing, but then it was the Federal FW.

I heard what happened to Tim Tytle and all the geckos he lost, and here was a situation where everything was done by the book, and yet he was targeted by FW. Most of the geckos were lost because they would not release the shipment even though all the paper work was proper. What does your little book say about that.

Their is no sense in calling FW and making sure that they send you the latest version on permits. Its ludicrous when someone stands in front of your booth with a uniform on and starts asking quesitons that do not even pertain to the permit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What does your little book say about that. !

Incidently, that is exactly what happened to me. I am not governed by FW regulations nor do I have a permit from them. I actually have nothing to do with them, but I am governed by the Dept. of Agriculture, and I have a permit from them. I can assure you , they approached my table and asked me for my permit. I told them, that they were not the issuing agency and that I would only show the permit to the DOA. He was not a happy officer, and he took my name, address and home # which I eagerly provided. I inturn took his shield # and name, and he then left. But I can assure you as I am writing this, if I ever do get a FW permit and run into this guy, he will make it a personal issue. No permit rules or little law books will help. You just have to be careful.