FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New Guinea Crocodiles (Crocodylus novaguineae)
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 03:25 PM   #7
GATORCHASER
Thumbs up DONNY'S THE MAN WITH THE PLAN

I concede! After further discussion and review it appears that the avenues Donny has are the best bet for any importation in the immediate future. Any one considering these beautiful beasts I suggest you jump. I have seen many of them in person (in some cases accidentally shared their swimming hole, unknowingly)
Once you head up into the mountainside, right outside of Port Moresby, you will find these guys all over. Every once in a while the city would lose power because one would get caught in the turbines at the dam. I have never known anyone to have been attacked in the 5 years I spent there, however there of course are always stories. I kid you not (even though it is not recommended) I have swam in waters where they turned out to be no more than 20ft away. In fact there is a water park built along side the river and every-once in a while one of these guys show up. They pen them up and then at the end of the season they release them (unfortunately a few of them end up as stakes at the local lodge). Would definitely recommend extreme care in the nesting season though. These guys can move.