FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Cold temps, Fall/Winter 2020
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
WebSlave
Cold temps, Fall/Winter 2020

Actually got down to 29.1 degrees here in north Florida last night. Connie and I had to cover a few of the plants last night, and expect more of the same tonight. Then temps will return to what is more normal for Fall and winter in north Florida.

We only covered the most sensitive plants. Connie has two patches of pineapple plants growing, and her pepper plants in her garden were still producing, so she hoped to be able to save them. Her tomato plants were history anyway, since the deer had taken a liking to them.

Speaking of deer, we have been growing citrus trees for decades now, and up to this year never had a problem with deer chewing on them. This year, however, they are being a real problem for some reason. Wouldn't be bad if they only chewed a few leaves, but they are taking off entire branches with their munching. I had to set up a couple of "bunny blasters" to scare them off.

https://www.orbitonline.com/product/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Guess I had better check them to make sure that the cold didn't damage them. Sheesh.....

And possums are getting at the ripe tangerines now, so I have to do something about them. They have already stripped a couple of trees of all fruits in our older grove.

Yesterday we had to fix a section of pipe that got broken by some varmint that evidently knocked against it and broke it off. Connie noticed the very low water pressure in the morning, so we had to go out and check things out working from the pump back to the house. PVC doesn't seem to last forever when exposed to sunlight.

Yeah, life in the country.