FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Giving birth after 6 years from a male...
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
GHC Exotics
Talking Giving birth after 6 years from a male...

Hey guys, thought I would share this with you all. Today to much... much... MUCH suprise, as turning on our lights and getting ready to open the shop today, our Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake (Crotalus adamanteus) had a suprise happening. After over 6 years in captivity, and being in complete solitude the entire time, she was giving birth Obviously I was in shock, but, throughout the entire day, I took photos and videos of the process, as she pushed out 2 live babies and 11 slugs. One of the two babies is missing one eye, though seems healthy, while the other, larger one is visually healthy. I plan on trying to preserve if possible, the hardened slugs, to put on display at our exhibit, they are currently frozen until I find a solution for them. As for the babies, they are going to be kept on exhibit, and will hopefully stay alive for us, since we do not know exactly how old the mother is. She was an adult when we got her. Though nature is always suprising, this is definately one of the more interesting things that I have experienced while dealing with any species of reptiles. Below is a photo of the two babies shortly after being taken from mom. Hope you all find this as interesting as I did!!
Attached Images