FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Scammers
Thread: Scammers
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
hhmoore
PayPal doesn't offer a whole lot of protection, and a number of scammers have used it. One thing to look for with PayPal is to make sure that the seller is a Verified member. That means that they have gone through a confirmation process, and backed their account with banking/credit card info.
USPS money orders are ok. Taking a USPS money order in the act of fraud bring a person into the realm of Federal crime. Do avoid other types of money orders, though.
Be VERY wary of sellers that insist upon payment via Western Union. Even the Western Union website warns of sending money through their service to people you don't know (I've noticed warning signs in the local store that offers W.U.. too)

Unfortunately, with the steady rise in the number of people selling, it is harder to know who is who. Always ask for contact information - full name, address, phone number. Don't be afraid to check them to make sure they are real. If a person skirts those questions, just move on (be advised, some legit people don't like to do business by phone, so don't take offense to such a statement as long as it is explained...and the number is given. I don't do business by phone, but I will give a customer my number if it is requested. And I will call them, or make arrangements to take their call, if it is necessary to make them comfortable.)

References are a great option, but not everybody has them...and they can be fake. When I am asked for references, I give links to my trader rating, GGC, and BOI threads...all solid stuff that doesn't involve bothering people to confirm. Obviously, it won't always be that easy for you, but common sense is your best guide.