FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New Panther Chameleon forum
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #19
WebSlave
Yeah, that last server migration that took place rather recently was apparently a real headache for the server techs. They had to do this site manually, since the native Cpanel function wouldn't work for it. I noticed that they have since changed their migration policy to where if a migration won't work automatically via Cpanel, then the customer is responsible for the migration. So that likely means I won't be migrating this site anytime real soon, if ever again. At least not to a different server hosting company unless they would be willing to tackle a manual migration.

These new guys I am with seem to be top notch, so hopefully that won't be an issue I have to address anytime soon. And thankfully they appear to be REAL BIG on security.

I try to do local backups of all the sites I have on my server periodically, but honestly it's a pain in the butt, so I don't do it as often as I really should. Takes me all day to download the sites to one of my local backup hard drives. The server tech guys really hardened off my server, but heck, you never know. So having a local copy of my sites might be the only thing standing between continuing on with some losses, or being completely kaput some day. I also make local backups of the MySQL database files every night too, that I download from the server. So regardless of being a pain in the butt, it's something that I feel I have to do if I want to try as best I can to make sure this site doesn't just vanish in a puff of smoke one day.

There is a backup drive in the server, of course, but a particularly malicious and knowledgeable hacker would certainly destroy the internal backups as well as the main sites while he or she was in there, particularly if their intent was simple destruction.

Heck, if I FULLY retired, I wonder what I would do with all of my free time?