FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Venomoid in/near Indiana?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Arctophile117
Naturally, you wouldn't. Nevermind that it has been successfully replicated time and again, by different veterinarians since, oh, I don't know, 2004 or 2005? And had resounding success in rendering them relatively harmless, so long as standard precautions are taken until residues are gone (kinda reminds me of the warning the surgeon gave me before getting my vasectomy, how I need to be careful for so long afterward or I might randomly father a kid). Or the fact that science has already proven that venom isn't required by vipers for digestion, that the effect it has on breaking down tissues simply aids the snake in being able to swallow even larger meals, compared against, say, pythons or colubrids of similar size. Also nevermind that a reduced, eventually negated risk of envenomation would obviously make handling one of these snakes (when handling is necessary - since I propably needed to add THAT "disclaimer") much less dangerous for not only the handler, but also the snake, due to reduced chance of accidentally hurting the animal with the very tools used to defend yourself with when handling it.

I didn't expect to find many vets, let alone one near me, given the extreme danger being a liability. I asked on here because I was HOPING to get helpful info, while instead I'm getting roadblocks by good ol' boys who percieve someone as being recklessly naive of the lethality of such a beautiful creature, and of the respect due it for exactly that reason (it being a living, breathing thing goes without saying).

On this note, I distinctly remember that as I was making my account on this forum, a moderator was running a survey, asking members' general views of this site. He blatantly stated his concern that perhaps the older and longer-time members are running off new members due to an "old club" mentality. I am beginning to see why he was concerned.