FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - The BOI will be coming to an end on 02-02-2020
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #97
yeloowtang
I haven't read all of the posts yet..
there's is no way any other BOI anywhere especially on facebook can compare to this one. All others get the post buried to a point you can't find anything, and the worst part is peoples messages get deleted or entire post get deleted if someone is not happy with the way things are going.. people get blocked and can't reply. Keyboard warriors are 100 times worst there. 10 times more scammers too.
I don't think having the BOI reserved for contributing members a good idea ( and I don't say this because I'm not one that is contributing) It just never crossed my mind for whatever reason ?? can't even say why.. I visit on a regular basis even if I'm not as much into reptiles anymore . I just enjoy keeping up to date on things and read interesting posts. even help when I can.. blocking it will just bring in less traffic here as a whole.
BUT I do get that things can't be free, with the time invested the stress involved.
It might just be the time you call it quits too, after doing it for so long, it's normal to just be tired and lose interest, no shame in that, THAT would be a huge loss to the community.
many people go to facebook because it's easy and free.. I personally hate it as you can't find anything unless it's been posted recently..
as for solutions ??
having a huge header here and push on the importance the BOI on fauna has on the hobby.. from what I have read over the years, only the bad apples hate fauna !!! we all know why.
maybe try a new year sale on membership, instead of 25$ try 10 or 15$ ?? I'm not saying that because I'm cheap :-D this site is worth it for sure, it's just all the others are free.. people need a reason in wanting to send $$ .
I don't know if you have one or not, maybe get a sister facebook page.. nothing as in a forum type to cause you more stress, just a page with a little info about this forum and link people back here. just show partial headlines with a click here for the rest. Bring them here but only have members capable of posting, even contributing members could be the only ones to post.. then have that other idea I read earlier with a 5$ a month fee to post if that person wants to. maybe even a free one time post for an accused person to defend themselves.

way back, before facebook, forums like this one is where people went, every other forum that I am a member is having the same issues.. less and less posts, some are basically dead now with 1 or 2 visitors a week.. not only reptiles, all other types of forums like (Halloween, salt water reefs, RC, kiting) are suffering the same fate over facebook...
why I think using facebook to bring people back here might be a good idea.
I often link this BOI on many facebook pages when I get a chance too.

I would hate to see the BOI go, I think it's the most important part of Fauna; it's what makes the bad ones run scared, it helped so many people over the years, probably even got rid and shut down a few scammers as well.

I hope a solution can be found and that you are not ready just yet to move on to other things.. maybe having many even hundreds of 10$ memberships versus no 25$ ones ??
again, not to be cheap at all, I spend on crazy things all the time but the reality of today is, if the amount is past a certain point, people just don't bother.
maybe go 10$ year - 25$ 3 years - 50$ 10 years
you could have fund raising events where each membership gets a chance to win a Tshirt ?? :-D make it fun at the same time.
just shooting ideas, maybe this as all been done before.
wishing you the best possible outcome in this..
and yes, I need to be a contributing member as well.. should get that done soon

Steph