FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - *Off Topic* Fix to my brumation problem w/ Western Hognose?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 03:04 PM   #21
Justin Mitcham
Forgive my 1st post I wanted to include an experience and while typing was interuppted on the phone, I accidently hit the post button, here it is again..

Yes, I tried keeping my animals in a refrigerator on two seperate occasions, both times it worked well.Although you may want to install a heat strip hooked to a themostat in case it gets too low this will prevent them from freezing until you fix the problem. 1st Time I tried it during the winetr we had a big cold front come through and my fridge went funny, I woke up to 31' reading in my fridge. I about had a heart attack, they were fine and were revived with no apperant ill affects but if I hadn't noticed it it would of been a 20k loss!!! Now during the winter I block all the vents in my home except for a redone bathroom and I turn on the AC when I need it, I leave a small window cracked and a vent on to keep air circulating from outside. The room ranges from 40-55 with the avearge being around 50', this does fine, with the small amont of lght comming in it sets a natural photoperiod. I brumated this year from dec 13 - feb 14 . With a two week pre-cool down starting dec 1. This is done by halting all feeding, and turning off there heat pads, room heat etc..
Justin