FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Pituophis ???
Thread: Pituophis ???
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Pituophis ???

Was surveying in West Texas right at the N.M border, a mile or so East of I-10 early this morning. I happened upon a Pituophis melanoleucus affinis (Sonoran Gopher snake) on the job site. I didn't have my camera, so I caught it with the intentions of getting some pics later, and letting it go afterwards. Well, it got pretty darn hot, and I just kept thinking I was going to cook that snake if I didn't let it go, so I did it and got no pics.

My question is this...........Never seen one like this before. (really regret not having pics) It was normally marked, except VERY reduced patterns and colors. Reminded me of a ghost boa instantly. It was definately hypo, (in the sense it had ZERO black) but even the over all color was barely what you'd call tan. Maybe closer to cream color. Not a lick of black and barely any dark browns. I am most certain it was a Sonoran too. Like i said, i wanted pics, but i was afraid I'd kill it with no safe way of keeping it in the work truck.

Anyone ever encounter one like this out in the field? Are there even any morphs on the market? I haven't looked do to no need.

I'll be taking My camera from now on, and perhaps a container, that's for sure. would love to see that one again tomorrow. I put him in a hole and he went underground. Mostlikely it will leave tonight though.

Any info would be great,
Rick