FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Methods
Thread: Methods
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
droogievesch
So she's been on the lamb for a good 24 hours.

I finally got done with the nightly animal chores (rabbit, hedgehog, geckos-which my rabbit graciously "helped" me mist).

I decided I'd give my room one last go through, I searched a closet (which has been searched at least three times) and nothing there. I decided to just put out baking soda and some water bowls and hope for the best. When going to my other closet (somehow I managed to get two walk in closets...) I noticed my nightstand drawer was ajar. I figured what the hell, so I removed each drawer and searched it. By the time I got to the bottom drawer I had nothing. I started to shake my head when I saw something under my bed. What was it? It was the gosh darn snake just chilling where I -KNOW- I searched a million and one times (I lost it on my bed, it just seemed logical that it would stay there...). I went to pick it up, but she got a little fiesty with me. I had a rather bloody encounter with an adult ball earlier today (nice bite marks on my nose if anyone wants to see pictures) so I had no desire to handle a nippy young one (I would guess weight to be 600g or so). I wrapped a t-shirt around my hand to cushion the blow, but I couldn't really grasp her. So once she started high tailing it I ditched the t-shirt and showed her (as nicely as possible) who was boss.

She's back where she should be now. My snakes have managed to escape 3 or 4 times, mostly my stupidity (not pushing the bins in all the way, or "forgetting" I'm holding them and setting them down and walking away, much like people do with remotes, pens, keys, etc.) and EVERY time I tear apart everything and look in the most outrageous places. When I finally come to terms that I may never see my snake again I look up and it's sitting out in the open.

Mark my words: I will NEVER own a tiny tiny snake, or a snake that can do real damage.

Thanks for the help, and it seems that when trying to find runaways patience is the key as well as some creativity.

What was worse in my case is I wasn't sure if I lost her. I had somebody snake-sit while I was in Ecuador, and I got them back on Thursday. I was in a hurry to get to work, so I didn't have time to ID all of them and put them in their respective spots in the rack. When I returned home from work I went to do the littler ones and I realized she wasn't in her tub, but the lid was firmly latched. I honestly couldn't remember if I had gotten her back or if she had escaped sometime between one place and another. All I can come up with is when I started to sort them out I must have taken her out and then gotten preoccupied, set her down on my bed, and walked away. Why I would have closed the lid though still baffles me. What's worse is I have no memory of taking her out or holding her. All I remember is opening the lids and seeing if I could ID any without pictures.

I should be banned from getting any more snakes until I develop a short-term memory.

Thanks for all your advice though. If I learned anything besides the obvious here it's to clean my dang room so I don't have piles of stuff to sort through.