FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - HHMoore Finicky eater insight!
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
Leighanne
Lots more!

Kristin,
I'm not overlly concerned with specific feeding records, what you have told me so far is enough. Don't worry about pics of Lickity, either, having a weight is better, IMO. If she has not eaten in a couple of weeks, I will ask you to weigh her again to get an idea of where she is. Don't worry about the scale increment, either; it isn't so much exact numbers I am looking for, as that I want to make sure she hasn't lost a lot of weight.

HHMoore-You're right - it isn't the best idea to try to compare different kinds of snakes, even when talking about different genera, let alone crossing into different families. Even within Pythonidae (Family: Pythons), there are significant differences in the various genera - which is why I pointed out that I was very familiar with the differences between BPs and other types of pythons (genera is the plural of genus, a smaller breakdown of scientific classification. Scientific names are composted of Genus, species, and subspecies - for example, the common boa is Boa constrictor imperator...often abbreviated BCI)
You are right, the old temps (min/max) are pretty much useless...except to point out that at some point, there were possibly some serious issues. No sense in trying to analyze them at this point - too much has changed. As long as you reset them, we'll start checking them regularly...every few days is good for now, unless there appears to be a problem.Last night her temps read In 84.0 Out 90.5 59% humidity. This morning 91.2 and 82.2 73% humidity and yes I changed the water dish last night and boy does it raise humidity.
From what you have described, things sound pretty good right now...but we do need to see what is going on with the temperatures, as that can be a huge issue.
Room environment can be an issue, especially if there are extremes. With a well acclimated, feeding snake, I don't worry too much about things like environmental noise, light levels, etc...but with a nonfeeder, I eventually try to minimize all such sensory stimulation. The fan and space heater could be factors, depending on how they affect enclosure temperatures. Remember, you are not dealing with a static environment - as room temperatures go up and down, there will be corresponding changes in the enclosure temps. Setting a thermostat does not reduce the need to be mindful of what is going on insde the box. It doesn't sound like there is too much going on in the room, so you don't have to worry about trying to changing your room habits.

Colubrids are a snakes of family Colubridae. This family includes more than half the snake species in the world, including: kingsnakes, bullsnakes, ratsnakes, watersnakes.
Neonate means newborn (new baby)
Boids are snakes of family Boidae. Depending on which reference you use, Pythons may or may not be considered part of this group. In its simplest form, a boid is a type of boa constrictor (including both the "normal" boas and the sand/rubber/rosy boas); but when used conversationally, ie in the forums or when referenced in legal statutes, it would mean boas & pythons