FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Georgia state law issues
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 08:08 PM   #62
ZX11
The useless DNR and the Claxton Roundup

I went to the roundup yesterday and the catch this year was 348 snakes, maybe, of which, there were about 15 canebrakes.

The vendors were running wide open and selling things ranging from glass statues to epoxy coated rattlesnakes. Of course there several vendors selling snake parts, too.

We saw belts, hatbands, cigarettes cases, lighter cases, wallets, boots, and plain skins. Of the 50+ vendors, only one could correctly identify the species of snake from which the parts came from. One vendor had several wallets made from burmese pythons, a rack full of belts and a few sets of boots. I ask what kind of snake and he said he did not know. This vendor also had cigarette cases made from monacle cobras, one from an albino.

I took 54 pix of the items they were selling and and the snakes sent off to meet their maker. Many EDB's were in excess of 6ft.

Of course they had to have the ritualistic milking of the snakes for all to see. The snakes were pulled from their cages and slung to the ground at the milker's feet and he, in turn, snatched them up with his tongs, setting the scared, striking snake on a table and pinned its head. Trying to protect itself, it was then subjected to having its mouth pried open and then the beaker shoved in its face. When done, the man would freehandedly sling the snake to the next fella that tormented it into striking. The crowd gave its' "ooohs" and "aaahs". Then the snake is droppped into another pen.

I asked the milkman what was done with the venom. His reply was that it was sold to various pharmacuticals. Shortly after saying that, a dead EDB was thrown to the milker. It, too, was milked into the same beaker and slung to the other pen.

I asked what became of the snakes. He told me they were released into peoples' yards. I just glared at him. He saw I did not approve of his quip, then said they were released into an enclosed area and will be brought back next year.

When questioned about where they came from to begin with, he informed me that people go out and catch them. I asked how. He told mme that they used to gas to the gopher tortise holes but the enviromentalists did not like that so the holes are simply dug up.

I know that, in Ga, the selling, or possession of, nonindiginous reptiles, in whole, or part, alive, or dead is illegal. I went to make contact with the DNR that are usually at the roundup. They were not there this year. I found, and asked, a state trooper to call in an agent. An hour passed. When I asked the trooper where the DNR was, he told me the only agent in the area was in Chandler County and would come in. He said he explained what was there and the agent confirmed the illegals, but sent me back a message to just leave the people alone and let them do their business.

This is how the roundup is every year. Since no one wanted to show up and help with the closing of this, maybe you can protest the products of Claxton. They sell Claxton Chicken at grocery stores and Claxton Fruitcakes. Maybe a boycott against the Claxton products will help.

"Welcome to Georgia. Owned and operated by the DNR"

Michael Parkinson