FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Georgia state law issues
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 11:22 PM   #70
tdeppen
dnr are just stupid people

ok heres the story. i called the local dnr office here in savannah and talked to a ed van ottern, who i asked, "can i have a hybred snake that is a cross between a corn snake and a cal. king(jungle corn)". well he took his time, about two days, witch was no problem. he called me back saying," because the animal is a hybred between a native snake and a non-native, non-venimous, snake that you can have it". i was really excited, that ment that we can have bubble gum rats, emory x corns, ect.

well i wanted to dubble check, witch i should not of, i called the specal permits unit in atlanta and talked to mary kay. i explained to her what i wanted to know about the hypred. she replys," what is the scientific name of the hybred". i tell her that because it is a man made animal, that meaning it does not occurr in nature, that it is just a cross. but she convences me that there is a name and made me feel stupid. so i call around to a cupple of the "old timers" from around here to ask them. then i call her back.

she answers the phone i tell her that it is a lamperpletis california cross whit a elaphe, and that there is no scienctific name for it. so here we were me a 17 year old shutting up an dnr aggent. mabe not the smartest thing to do but all in all fun. she gets mad and just tells me "no". i reply saying," thats funny, because i talked to a mr. ed van otteren and he is saying different." once again, it is quiet on the other end, and she said that she has never herd of him. then i here her asking some one in the back ground,"do you know an ed insavannah" and the person replying ,"oh yeah i know him, good guy". whitch ed is a great guy i have talked to him many times, he knows most of his stuff. then she askes me if she can call me back once she finds out. she calls back about 15 min. later and says "no", so here i am trying to fight it once more. and damnit i am tired of fighting it.

thad