FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Fang & Claw anyone remember it????
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
Glenn Bartley
Fang & Claw anyone remember it????

I wonder if anyone out there ever visited a very small herp shop located on West 14th Street in New York City back in either the late sixties or early to mid seventies? If you do know of this place, do you know what became of the owner? As I remember, I owe him a debt of thanks, and if anyone can get him in touch with me I would appreciate it.

He really helped get me started in the right direction with herps, especially snakes. He also talked me into making the best non-animal herp related purchase I have ever made: my first copy of Snakes The Keeper and the Kept by Carl Kaufeld. For that I am forever grateful to him. As I recall he told me he had worked either at the Bronx Zoo or the Staten Island Zoo in the herp house. I believe he said he may have been one of the curators.

I sure would like to be able to say thanks because when I think of it, even though he did not get me started in the hobby, he got me going in the right direction to be able to keep healthy herps; and because I read that one book he in essence fanned the flames that were to become a life long love of field collecting!

Thanks

Best regards,
Glenn Bartley