FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Jamaican Boas Breeding
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #45
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
These are just gorgeous , thank for all the pics!

I am VERY interested in the chick thigh idea - I have Pacific Boas (Candioa bibroni) which look very similar to your Jamaican Boas, and the new borns are very similar in size (and are also escape artists - mine all went up when they got out and had to be rescued from the curtain rail).

I have fed them on baby geckos, but it's hard to find enough when there are 20+ babies, and I do raise chicks for the adults, so next time I will try this idea. Any other tips or observations you may make as you go along will be very welcome.

Good luck with all those feeds in your future!
Glad to be of service. I was quite glad to find that reference myself. I've used chick heads in the past in place of hopper mice, but never realized the thighs could be used as well. I was definitely afraid I'd have to start feeding them geckos or anoles, but at $2-3 each, that was going to get tricky. Between the thighs and the heads, I'm pretty sure you could pretty much get them all the way to adulthood. I'll be feeding quail chicks for a few weeks in between, but I don't know if you have access to those. I imagine you could just double and triple up on the thighs until they get big enough for heads.

That's a good point about the babies all going up. So far, all the ones I've found have either been on the floor (presumably after falling) or climbing around mid-level. Maybe I should get a ladder and check the ceiling region. There's a whole mess of wires, pipes, ducts, etc. for them to climb on up there. I was so unprepared for the jailbreak. I really underestimated their ability to squeeze through tiny spaces.