FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Interesting but unethical Hybrid attempt.
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #68
Biscuit71
I can see no real problems with it as long as whatever offspring that is produced is sold (if it is sold) AS a hybrid. There have been alot of comparisons between dogs and snakes and such... I think the same argument about not mixing can be used with anyhting from slugs all the way up to people. SOme dogs shouldnt be mixed... can they mix, yes, but they shouldnt be... You wouldnt mix a Great Dane with a Pug... Hybridization is how new species are created... maybe not by people playing "god" as some people like to call it, but animals with similar characteristics meeting by chance in the wild and producing something new that may carry on in the wild or may not. Face it... if somehting can be crossed it will be and no amount of flaming or calling it wrong will change that. I think about 90% of the columbrids i see out there are some sort of cross ... never see anyone really complaineing about that.. You can go to any pet store and see Puggles and Schnoodles, and cockapoos... Chickens have been crossed and uncorssed for years... make them bigger or fatter, or better layers.. horses, have been crossed with donkeys, and the Zebra... everywhere you look you will see different types and occurances of hybridization, they just dont hit as close to "home" as the subject of crossing snakes....... think about that next time you bite into a piece of chicken. In the end it comes down to If it can be done, someone WILL do it.. they want to be a first.. they want to be know an the person / breeder that was the first to do it.. Nobody slams the people that HAVE done it.. I know that NERD does Bateaters.. yet people dont slam them about doing it... they say "cool snake". Makes me wonder if it is more of a case of WHO is doing the hybridization or not. Would someone slam NERD or one of the other big breeders if they were doing it? (sorry Kevin and Kara... NERD just came to mind because your so well known)
Anyway, Ill get off my soap box... have fun in whatever you want to do... its all that matters in the end anyway. :scatter: