FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - My Black Rat Snake
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #16
snakester
Well this is how it happend...

I was not looking for snakes when I found them, so I did not have a snake hook. I was looking for old bottles and whild digging I found a small earth snake. I sutck it in a snake bag (even when I am not looking for snakes I have snake bags with me!) then I went on digging. I walked over to a section of the bottle dump where there were a bunch of tires... and i saw a large snake skin going over the side of a tire and into it. It was a very old rotting snake skin that I guessed at about 1-2 weeks old but I thought the snake might still be around and since I had found my last Black Rat snake (aprox. 5 years ago) in a tire about 150 feet from where I was I thought that the snake that this skin came from might still be around, so I started flipping tires and when I flipped my 4 tire I saw the body of a snake inside. I had nothing to hook it with to pull it out and it would not come out on it's own. So I had to pull it out with my hand. It did not try to bite at all and I was able to put it in a bag with out much troble. then I decided to look around in the other (aprox. 20) tires but did not plan on finding any thing... but the very last tire I flipped had another snake in it... Just as I flipped it the snake shot out right at me but did not try to bite... it took about 3 seconds befor I was sure it was not a venomous snake and got my hand to reach out a grab it. It was a bit harder to get this one into the (only) big bag that I had with me... that I had the other snake in.

After I had them both bagged I went over to where my brother was looking for bottles and pulled them both out to show to him. By mistake I picked up the first one (the bigger one) too close to his head and while I was not looking it bit down hard. It surprised me so much that I did the thing that is hard not to do but should never be done and I jerked my hand away... She let go but I hope I did not pull any ov her teeth out when I jerked.
Since I caught them I have not had either even try to bite again, but I do use my short hook to get them out of the cage!!!