FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Snake by way of dog
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #14
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
Also, one of my dogs is really indifferent about my other pets and the other one runs from newborn mice, but at least neither of them are a threat!
I'm a dog lover too- my current 2 aren't entirely trustworthy but are well-supervised, but a few years back I had an Italian Greyhound that didn't fit the mold for 'hound' behavior. She came trotting toward me one day with a huge toad in her mouth that appeared dead. She laid it on the ground as I scolded her, only to find that it was "pretending death" and was actually unharmed. It got up and left without further molestation.

I do allow my dogs to sniff my pet snakes occasionally (while I hold them) & tell them to just "kissy". They do seem to know not to hurt them. In the yard might be another story though, especially for anything that moves fast. Around here, I have the occasional garter snake, but there is much ground cover so happily they get away. These dogs don't seem to care much about toads, thankfully and they were mystified when a large box turtle wandered in. They were a little afraid of it & I was glad, but I relocated it for safety out of my yard anyway.