FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Reasonable length of time for a warranty period?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 11:19 AM   #36
bpc
Guys and Gals, this is what I'm asking. I don't want $40 for a ten dollar animal. In fact, want I want is to sell the "market priced" animal, below market price and not give any warranty. $30 for for a guaranteed snow corn is a fair price. I don't trust Joe customer enough to guarantee he can't kill my animal for 30 days. So what I want to do is sell him the snake, answer all his questions about how to take care of it, and then send him on his way, never to be seen again until he wants to buys something else. I'm willing to take $10 less for the snow corn just so I don't have to determine 20 days from now (or how ever long it happens to be) whether it was Joe customer who killed the snake or if it something that happened on my end.

Dianne, insurance companies absolutely bet on the odds of disaster. Why do you think they charge different rates to different 35 year old males for the same insurance. They know that the 35 year old who weighes 350 lbs and smokes 3 packs a day is MUCH more likely to have a heart attack than the 35 year who weighes 145 lbs and runs marathons on the weekend. The odds are shown on those charts we see when they sell us insurance. The greater the odds that you might drop dead tomorrow the more you pay. You can call it whatever you want, but they are playing the odds.

When they lose, like when hurricane Andrew came through, they simply start charging more for the same or even less coverage to make up for their mistake. This can be translated to reptiles. I would have no problem offering a 7 day guarantee on my cornsnakes, but there's no way I'd offer that guarantee on more delicate animals like frogs or chameleons w/o marking those animals up to cover my losses.

I guess what I'm really trying to determine here is this:
Do you, the customer, really want me to mark up my animals to "market level" and give you a guarantee or would you rather have an outlet let mine where you can buy animals based on how the look/act right now, and save yourself 10%-50%?