FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What are these red marks on my albino pied?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
It's interesting, as if it is minor bleeding showing through the white scales I suppose bruise is the most accurate term. I just never thought about it before... thanks.
Never a problem. I think we simply become more aware of it when dealing with white snakes since it is more visible. The same thing happens with albinos and other lite colored ball pythons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblan46 View Post
1. Thank you,
2.I'm not sure that he would let me subdue the rat, but I will try.
3. And if so, how harmful are they/do I have to switch to frozen/thawed?
1. No problem.
2. Give it a try. Longer tongs might be a good start.
3. I unfortunately could not answer how "harmful" is it to the snake physically. I have observed what it does to the snake psychologically. Ball pythons, like other snakes have personalities and confidence levels. If a ball python is repeatedly attacked by its prey, in most cases I see the snake lose confidence and become either timid/scared of their prey moving forward. This often translates into them not eating for great periods of time OR only accepting extra-extra small prey (10 mice vs. 1 Jumbo rat).

You and your snake will be way better off if you can transition it over to thawed OR even freshly killed. Try killing the rat next time yourself. Then, while still internally warm, jiggle it in front of the snake on tongs... train the snake to take the dead rats and you will avoid the attacks and "bruising".

Good luck!