FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - So...what to do when you're told "If you breed snakes this season, I'm leaving you?"
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Mister Internet
I don't know you personally, so my advice may mean nothing... but if I had ever heard "my animals come first in my life, and always will", there wouldn't have been a second date. Heck, I might have cut the first one short after hearing that. I understand the mind of someone who treats animals like people, I really do... I have family members today that have unhealthy attachments to animals because of loss in their lives.

But the thing is, animals are not people... even if they *seem* like family and like they are "closer" to us than people. That's not a natural or healthy way for a human being to live. Human beings are social creatures, and require the associations of other human beings. My guess is that he didn't really think you were serious when you said animals would ALWAYS come first, and now that he's finding out it's actually true, he's realizing that he needs to see if you will ever choose him over animals... and if not, he's ready to go.

I think his need for a decision on this issue needs to be respected. If you'll never be able to put his needs before your animals, then let him go. Regardless of how he's acting now, everyone deserves to be with someone who will put their needs above everything else... that's love. Love is NOT telling someone "tough luck, I warned you about the animals..."

And maybe use this as a chance to honestly think through whether or not your animal "projects" are really appropriate right now... animals CANNOT "come first" in relationship between two humans. I LOVE my animals, but if they ever put a strain on my marriage, they would be gone. no questions. Some things really are more important than animals...

Anyway... food for thought. I'm only replying to how the situation *seems*, so if I've overstepped in my assumptions, I apologize... best of luck....