FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Albino Ball Python Died!!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 05:50 PM   #103
Arboreals of the Rainforest
Shucks, ya all.

I'm still waitng for anyone to answer my simple question.

When it is no longer the responsibility of the breeder and when does it becomes the new owners responsibility?

Once the agreed upon guarantee has expired, another week, 2 weeks, month, 6 months after that period of time. Buyers have to start taking responsbility for the care of their animals eventualy.

Quote:
Gout in Reptiles
Holly Frisby, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Gout is a common disease among reptiles, including snakes, iguanas, monitor lizards, and tortoises.

What causes gout?

Uric acid is one of the end breakdown products of dietary protein in certain animals, including terrestrial reptiles. The uric acid is removed from the blood by the kidneys and excreted in the urine. Gout can occur if the level of uric acid in the blood exceeds the ability of the kidneys to remove it. The uric acid may crystallize in the joints which is termed "articular gout". It may also be deposited in various organs ("visceral gout"), such as the liver, spleen, pericardial sac (the covering of the heart), kidneys, and lungs, and mucous membranes, such as the mouth. When the uric acid crystallizes in tissues it forms small, white nodules called "tophi."

There are two types of gout. In primary gout, the high uric acid level is a result of an abnormal breakdown of protein. Primary gout is thought to be hereditary in humans. In secondary gout, the high level is due to the inability of the kidneys to adequately excrete the uric acid. This can be caused by medications, chronic diseases, kidney disease, starvation, improper diet, decreased water intake or chronic dehydration, and other environmental factors which affect the kidneys' ability to eliminate uric acid. A common cause of gout is feeding animal proteins (e.g.; dog or cat food) to vegetarian reptiles, whose digestive systems cannot properly digest and metabolize animal-based protein. In these cases, large amounts of uric acid are produced and the kidneys cannot adequately eliminate them.
Based on this article, it opens up several questions that I as a seller would ask long before I would look at genetics as the cause. Especially if I have never had an accusation like my animals are genetically inferior because it died 2 months after the sale in several other peoples care.

And Adam, where did your vet find the crystals. Or is she just telling you she found a high level of uric acid in the blood stream? Hence, causing her to diagnose gout as the cause of death.