FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - TSF
Thread: TSF
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
nickolasanastasiou
Tradition. Burying them does help. I think many people simply like to be able to see them.

A box within the incubator to slow and more evenly distribute the flow of heat in the area the eggs are positioned can also help. It still can trap heat if there are prolonged overshoots, but not as badly affecting individual eggs and overshoots can be managed with well-arranged equipment. There are merits and demerits to this. The way the incubator is designed and these other things, including burying them, can help significantly. People do that. Some people.

An open setup is the least stable, but is frequently used. Reliable temp-sexing is most beneficial to the buyer, but not always to all sellers. If incubating for one's own collection, it is again valuable. I know in my case that if I want to "guarantee" to myself that eggs I am incubating as future breeders will be the sex(es) I want them to be, I accept that I will suffer losses and I ride the line kind of closely. That is not the case when selling, so I do not go at it as extremely nor do I guarantee the result. I could back off more when incubating my own eggs for specific sexes, but then I would have to wait one to two years to find out whether or not it worked or not. That is a long time to lose ground on and more ground would then be lost through corrective actions. So 1-2 years + 1-2 years plus + the time for incubation itself and a lot of animals being grown out instead of 1-2 years and growing out a limited number of animals while accepting the possibility of greater losses during incubation. Workload is a factor for me for that. I do not want to have to do something for 2-4 years to get the result I want when I can get the result I want in 1-2 years. Especially with fewer animals. I find it much easier to focus my attention closely on a few animals than just shooting for volume. The volume also drives me to feel overwhelmed if too high. All lost time sets other things (like selective breeding) back more and more. It is a matter of two strategies. I have seen so many guys needing females and trying to be gentle with things. Years later, they have a bunch of males and that time does not get returned. It happens when needing males, too, but that is rarely as much of a problem for most tortoise projects. I see males being flooded into the market more than I see females flooded into the market.