FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - I just got a Sumatran Water Monitor
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
TonyV
Water Monitor

Just give it time it will mellow out its biting because its scared one of the biggest reasons they bite is because they feel threatened when you restrain them meaning holding them tight where they cant walk about freely in your hands let it walk from hand to hand for a bityou will be amazed at how after a few minutes it trusts you and realizes its ok. They all are nippy as babies they are real cool when just born and then after a few short months get a little nippy but keep handling it cause you will show it that it will be ok.worming is simple Panacure OR droncitt Monitors will eat when they have worms or Parasites unlike snakes and a few other animals that quit eating all together so it can be a very tricky thing knowing your monitors are infected. As far as it running and hiding its supposed to thats a good sign cause if it just sat there that would deffinately mean it was sick. Make sure it has a hide box or place to hide its something they need to stay healthy without one they become easily stressed out and that can cause other problems or atleast contribute to other problems like not eating. Dont just feed it raw meats and rodents this also will turn your cute little pet into a flighty aggressive monster. Also to much meat is hard on there stomaches when there babies. Give it lots of supplimented crickets to start out with. use a good vitamin and mineral suppliment to sprinkle on the crickets I use Minerall give raw ground Turkey 1-2 times a week rodents 1-2 times a week also but crickets should be available at all times with every meal that roughage is good for there system. You can also offer a good canned cat or dog food I recomend good lean canned dog food cat food has a little more oilds in it and is again hard on there little digestive track but there are a good canned cat food IAMS DIAMOND and a few others but I and alot of other owners use canned dog food. keep tha monitor at atleast 85 degrees you can do it bye using a 20 gallon long with a 75 what tear drop style or spotlight style black light bulb or regular style 65 to 75 watt red or black light bulbs work as well use cypruss mulch wood chips as a flooring keep it moist not soaking wet with the heat from the light it will stay nice and humid. I use a bowl of water thats smaller just so they can drink as you will find out they will use there water bowl as a toilet and then drink and swim in it thats a good start for worms and other Parasites so change that water evryday if not twice a day it sounds like alot of work but this is a bulletproof way of housing them I have had alot of lizzards over half of them Water Monitors and this is whats worked for me. Good luck ......Tony......