FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Something to ponder.....
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 04:40 AM   #27
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1
Inbreeding effects more than just color,When strengthening a desired trait its a pretty safe bet that you are strengthening an undesired one too and is not just color
I never said inbreeding only affected color. what I said was that the negative effects in morphs are (for the most part) the ones that are caused by inbreeding. breeding within that close a gene pool, in order to reproduce a color or pattern, results in problems...results in weaker animals with genetic defects. Perhaps I should have spelled it out more clearly in my previous post. my comment on the low survival rate in the wild was more of a side note, I apologize for the confusion it caused.

Quote:
Microchipping is money driven and unneccessary in my oppinion
then don't have your animals chipped. simple enough. but look at it this way - maybe it isn't "money driven"...maybe it is following the money. with the prevalence of animal theft, and microchipping being proof positive that the animal belongs to you - if you've got a snake that is worth several thousand dollars or more, don't you think it would be worth it to be able to verify ownership.

Quote:
I have already seen the picture that someone downloaded of the internet and posted on that other thread as an attack which anyone with a lick of sense would not be a party to,And i dont beleive that to be the norm i wouldnt take any of my pets to bubba's garage to get a surgery...lol...That is what i like to call misinformation
regardless of what you believe, the veterinarians that perform this surgery are few and far between. The first person I knew that did this was not a vet, and he performed the procedure in his home. keep in mind this was about 15 years ago. I have since encountered one other person that I know performed the procedure in his basement, and a person that claimed he devenomized snakes himself. I don't know for certain if it was true, but it was a statement that he made TO ME when I asked who devenomized a snake he was offering for sale locally (knowing what I know about this person, and the number of 'voids he offered, I was willing to believe). As for taking your pet to bubba's garage for surgery, most people that have 'voids buy them that way. WHY? because they don't have the skills to care for an intact hot, even for as long as it would take to get it to a vet for surgery...not that most people could find a vet in their area to perform the surgery anyway. that point made, I commend them for recognizing this; as the last thing this hobby needs is even more negative press, and stupid people being bitten by snakes they shouldn't have...that is how all the legislation starts.