FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Something to ponder.....
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 AM   #29
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1
Ive read the same thing,But it says Aids in digestion.
I havent read anything saying it is essential to digestion,Im not saying you are wrong im saying that it hasnt been proven to me on either thread
One last thing, please note that I said they can digest prey without venom - but it takes longer. again, with the sheltered lives they lead in captivity, the extension of the digestive process is not a huge issue, as long as the keepers are aware of it and minimize handling and other stressors during this period. from what I recall, length of the total digestive cycle increased by 2-10 days (depending on the species) just from feeding prekilled vs live prey. this was due to the lack of circulation of the venom...the fact that it could only affect tissue where it was injected. I believe that the total absence of venom was shown to extend the process just a bit longer. There have also been some studies that seem to reflect less of an impact on digestive cycles with higher temperatures SO, if one was to elevate temps to the high end of normal range and maintain them there for a week or so after feeding, it may well negate the absence of venom. And personally, I have always recommended the feeding of smaller prey items to 'voids. (if ya gotta keep 'em, at least do it right)