FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adenovirus Document from University of Florida
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #86
Drache613
Hello

Hello Chris,

Sorry to hear it is so confusing, but with thread I can see why. I will try to answer your questions more thoroughly for you.
Not all dragons who have Adeno die, some do while some don't. It greatly depends on immune system function when hatched & the genetics. There has been a lot of inbreeding which also decreases the hardiness of the reptiles, as well.
I do not know exact stats only that a lab that I work with who does PCR testing, has stated that approximately half of the tests are negative and the other half are positive, that he has personally dealt with.
Personally, working with a breeder in Canada who has tested her entire colony for me, has attained an all negative colony. She has one negative dragon who she has kept because he is so special. He has had his share of health issues but at least she knows why he has trouble now when previously before testing she just had no answers.
A breeder in Australia has a negative colony & I am working on getting a few more to test for me.
I have random tests everywhere really, even one in Dubai which is negative. It was imported from Czech Republic to the pet store where she purchased.

The problem lies with not enough people testing to find out where it is heavily concentrated. This has always been the problem. That is why I am not on this board anymore due to ridicule. That doesn't mean I haven't been working & researching, quite the contrary. I work with people that have ill dragons from a variety of things. What we have seen is a lot of dragons that are dying too young, with liver failure, etc. This virus directly affects the liver. Since we are not able to "see inside" them without surgery, we are not always able to head off any future health problems until it is too late.
If you would like more information on how to test for a very very affordable price, just let me know.

To answer the rest of your questions.

1) No, not all dragons have the Adeno virus. It has been proven that they do not all have the Adeno virus.
2) If any breeders in the US are testing, then they are doing it in secret or I have not heard about it. At one point a few did, but they no longer do. Some may be happy to test for you, but most do not see the value in it.
3) The life expectancy greatly varies. Some that are infected with it die almost immediately, while others may be able to live a full life. It depends on how badly affected the liver is, their genetics, the husbandry, etc, as to how long he or she may live.
4) Purchasing from overseas, you may get more negatives. However, keep in mind that most have imported from the US as well.
5) No, the Adeno virus is species specific. Thus, if one species of reptile or even a mammal contracted Adeno virus it would not affect the other species in the same manner as its original host. It is still not a good idea to mix species or house positive & or negatives together. The route is still known to be mainly fecal to oral route of transmission. It is not known to be airborne, but can be picked up in respiratory droplets.
6) No, a self inflicted wound does not increase chances of infection rates.

Please PM me here on the board, I just don't want to get too involved in the thread, if that is alright. I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Tracie