FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Adenovirus Document from University of Florida
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #66
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I may not be a breeder, but am an owner of dragons. However, at THIS point now, what needs to be done is just raise awareness & TRY to fix some of the problems that are in the colonies.
IF there is no guideline then nothing will ever get started. It definitely isn't going to get fixed overnight. All of the arguing isn't going to fix it either. So what if every question isn't answered yet, but I am quite sure that they will be soon.
Yes, according to the UF document, some dragons exhibit no symptoms while others do & simply die. Why are some dragons' immune systems better than others? Survival of the Fittest I guess, but, we are not helping the species along with our haphazard acts. I wish I knew the answers to why some dragons' genetics were better than others, but I don't. The same thing goes for people, why do some people who smoke get lung cancer while some smoke their whole life & never get lung cancer? It makes no sense. The best thing I can come up with is genetics & predetermined vulnerability to disease due to weakened immune systems. We need to give the dragons the best chance for survival.
All most of us are asking is to please be responsible breeders. Just do the testing. I am quite aware how expensive it is, but, if no one does it because they think why bother everyone has it anyway, everyone definitely WILL have it. Even if a carrier exhibits no symptoms, they all of the sudden could die from something strange. Why do we want the future dragons to all be carriers, wouldn't we rather them be without the virus altogethr? Isn't that what this should be about anyway? Everyone says yeah they care about the dragons, but, actions speak so much louder than words ever will. Then just DO something.
Other countries that have Bearded Dragons aren't having these problems apparently. It is because we have overbred here & weren't careful when the problem first arose. Now, just start doing something about it.

Tracie