FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Crossbreeding piebald with albino balls
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 01:19 AM   #5
Dembinski Reptiles
Daniel,

He is correct. You have a 1 in 16 chance of producing a Albino Pied when breeding the D.H. together. Its no different than the D.H. For Snows. You have a 1 in 16 chance on producing a Snow in a D.H. breeding. Not really sure how that all plays out on the aa and pp scale, but you maybe missing something. Im sure if you go to Tracy, Ralph, Mark Bell, NERD or the countless others, Im sure they could give you the correct break down. Now, I know your next response is going to be.. How many balls actually produce 16 eggs ?? And you would be right. NOT many. These are ONLY odds. Sometimes the odds are greater or less than any scale. Example: 1) To the best of my knowledge, all three strains of Snow Balls were produced by using Double Het breedings !! I know when Mike, hatched his, he only had 6 eggs (1 Albino 66% Het. Snow, 1 Axanthic 66% Het. Snow, 3 normal 66% D. Het. Snows and a SNOW). 2) I know a breeder who had a pair of Het. Axanthic's and breed them 3 straight years !! A total of 13 eggs total hatched in that 3 year span. NOTHING !! Now, according to the scale your going by, he should of had 25% Axanthics (meaning at least 3 Axanthics). It wasnt until his 4th year that he got one in a 5 eggs clutch !! I also know Tracy, one year told me of a Het. Albino breeding, where she had 6 eggs and 4 were Albino in that clutch. Those are better odds than a Albino to Het. breeding !!

Again if the parents BOTH carry BOTH genes then there is a chance that both of those recessive genes will be expressed in one of the offspring (1 in 16). And anyone getting into Hets should be aware that this is ONLY a scale !! I cant tell you how many people wanted a guarantee on exactly how many they would get in a breeding. You simply cant do it. Its only a scale of averages. Hope this helps.

Joe Dembinski