FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - National Association of Herpetoculturists???
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 11:06 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
I've been turning this over in my mind of and on for a couple of years.
One thing I have come to believe is that a national organization will not be adequate. Each individual state needs to have it's own organization. Of course a national "umbrella" if you will would be very beneficial for dissemination of information and unification of national issues, but I think starting only a single nationwide group is too far reaching as a first step. They will be unable to effectively oppose things on all levels.
History shows that as a whole herpers are very passive people. The initial sense of excitement and urgency tends to fade after time, and if an issue doesn't concern them directly they often don't bear a sense of responsibility to fight it. These are general statements of course.

NRAAC began with the premise that there would be a national organization bringing together 50 state chapters. That effort floundered from lack of support.
Anyone who has a serious devotion to the hobby has a large stake in what's happening now and over the next few years. We are indeed looking at the final sunset of herpetoculture if we do nothing.
It's relatively easy to get folks to come out to a herp meeting, or participate on a discussion forum, but to get them proactive in legislative issues is much more difficult.

I do believe we need a national organization with a website to bring the big picture together and act as an organizational arm and a clearinghouse for information.
The fight however will be done most effectively on the state by state basis.
If laws are being proposed in a given state, it will be much easier to gain a strong defense from those who are affected by the possible legislation than from herpers living in another state 2000 miles away.

Another fact that needs to be address is legal representation. When we see these instances on bad enforcement of bad laws, there is always someone who will have to either fight the government or buckle under. Most folks are unable to finance a serious fight against the state or federal authorities.
Ideally it would be best if we had some dedicated lawyers with a love of herping to lend a hand. That's alot to ask however. But legal defense is definately an area that will have to be addressed. Lobbying the state lawmakers is the other main issue. Changing existing laws in many cases is needed, but preventing future laws from being passed is just as important. It's easier to stop a law than it is to change it.

Any way you cut it, it's going to be an uphill battle for the first few years just to get it oranized and effective to any real degree.