FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Heavy parasite load found in ball python from Ed Clark
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 AM   #11
cookreptiles
ed has been contacted about the situation via a pm here on 9-15-07:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookreptiles
hi ed,

remember the group of female ball pythons that you sent me last year in trade for a group of cresteds? one of them passed a mass of tapeworms yesterday so i took her to the vet today. a fecal found tapeworms, strongiloides and a high number of coccidia.

the girls all eat great but none of them have really gained much weight, which makes sense now. i have had fecals done on a few of my other snakes in the recent past, which all came out clear. my other snakes are also all growing normally, so i am almost 100% certain that the only snakes that have internal parasites are the ones i received from you. i will be having fecals done on all of my snakes over the next few weeks in order to confirm this.

i wanted to let you know this so you can take the necessary measures to test and treat your collection, especially since coccidia is fairly serious. i feel that this is something that others with snakes that came from you should know, so that they can test and treat their snakes as well. i hope that you will take the initiative to issue a public alert, however, should you choose not to do so, i will post a warning so that people can take the appropriate action.

thanks,
emily cook
ed's reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLARK
Emily, thanks for the message. dont remember if the Balls that I sent you were captive bred or captive hatched. will look into it to find out and get back to you.
my reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookreptiles
hi ed,

you had said that they were cb from your collection and that you were letting a bunch of your younger females go to make space for new morphs.

thanks for looking into it,
emily

i will scan the vet report tomorrow and post it here.

i did not buy imports. i traded for captive bred snakes.

i do realize that it has been some time since i received these snakes, however, in that amount of time, with no exposure to parasites since being in my care, how would this snake suddenly get tapeworms, strongyloides and a heavy infestation of coccidia?

i am not asking for any compensation from ed. i am only posting this as a warning to others who have purchased from him so that they can take the proper care to get their own snakes tested and treated as necessary.