FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - What causes bites?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 09:48 AM   #21
lycosa
Here's a couple of close calls....

Medicating a pet store sick boiga black and yellow nightmare for stomatitis. I had welders gloves on and had successfully restrained it in hand. For some stupid reason, I thought I could gently open its mouth with the restraining hand thumb by using the seam of the welders glove and then medicate with the free hand. Using the seam worked well.....well enough that it turned its head and inserted my thumb in it's mouth. The gloves prevented me from receiving a bite but the process should have been more carefully thought out.

If you've kept several cobras in the same room, you undoubtabley know that they seem to smell food as it enters the room, do not appreciate waiting in line, and show their displeasure by lunging out of the cage at you. While in a hurry to feed the snakes, I happened to have my 24" hemo's somewhere else, and decided to 'tail swing toss' the mouse into the cage. So here's what transpired:

1) Monocle is orientated with head in back right corner of a larger vision cage.

2) Slid left glass open about 4". Monocle hasn't moved.

3) With left hand still on glass. right arm forms a 'T' over left arm holding mouse by tail. Monocle hasn't moved.

4) Mouse now in mid swing ready to toss. Monocle now bullets from opposite back corner of cage, hoods, stands and strikes outside the cage knocking the mouse out of my hand.

5) Change my underwear.

6) Note to self......Shortcuts save time....not lives.