FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - New York state law issues
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004, 02:39 AM   #37
RTBoas
There is alot to be said here

Thank you for sending your thoughts and concerns to Governor Pataki. Your email has been received and will be forwarded to the appropriate staff for review.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02684&sh=t

I wrote him about the ban on the Boids. Of course there are others in the ban such as the following

1 Section 1. Legislative findings. The legislature finds that keeping
2 exotic animals as pets poses a serious threat to the health and safety
3 of New York state residents. Wild animals, including but not limited to,
4 monkeys, tigers and venomous snakes, are readily available for purchase
5 throughout New York state.
6 Across the country, children have been mauled by tigers, asphyxiated
7 by snakes, and bitten by monkeys. Wild animals kept as pets can transmit
8 serious diseases to people, including Herpes B, Salmonella and Ebola
9 virus.

As to Boids which I own a few of as of right now like Clay said in earlier post there has not been any asphyxiated by snakes of the smaller Boids such as ball pythons, children's pythons, and others, even including common boa constrictors for which there has never been a recorded human fatality.

The person who wrote this bill has no education in Reptiles Period, this totally evident. I could understand banning a snake greater then 15 feet or something like that but all Boids?

As for VENOMOUS snakes, I can't see why anyone would really want to own one, but it there choice.

If I had more time I could write a book or even amend the state Legislatives shortcoming.

This is still a free country and we all need to go to bat on topics like this, I encourage you all the write Governor George E. Pataki.

Even if you’re not in NYC, New York

Email him here