FaunaClassifieds - View Single Post - Ball python egg incubation
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
mkreptiles
I feel everyone has their own methods and they all work. I also feel that 90 degrees is too hot. I maternal incubate when i can but if the need for artificial incubation arises i use a pretty old method and works great.

I incubate at all my ball python eggs at 82-83 degrees. They hatch out at an average of 67-68 days. One other reason i incubate at these lower levels is it is easier to keep humidity up. I have bee n made fun of because of my "state of the art" incubator. I use aquariums with fish tank heaters. Yes you heard that right, aquariums. I incubate all my eggs that way. Fish tanks filled with 6" of water with a circulation pump and a heater. Iris boxes from reptiletubs.com handles the eggs. You need to use DRY media in the boxes. The humidity within the fish tank is going to be very high allready.

I have never lost an egg this way and the babies tend to thrive real well. All my babies are an average weight of 80-85 grams post shed. There is never a runt of 55 gram weights that i have encountered since using this method.

I just have to laugh when i see everyone panicking or trying so hard to make it complicated. This is not complicated and nature has been doing it for millions of years without a constant temp. Fluctuations occur and it does not hurt the eggs.

I have hatched ball python eggs at 75 degree room temps before. There was no ill effects but there did not seem to be any benefits of these lower temperatures to me. There is no need to use high tech methods to incubate your eggs and if someone tells you other wise then they probably are the one selling you the incubator.

Just my opinion.

Mike King
MK Reptiles
508-982-0169